St. Jude’s first charity program in 2021 are “Blessing Bags”. A Blessing bag is a large zipper-storage bag containing a bottle of water, a nutritious-but-soft food bar, and one or more useful items, along with an icon card of St. Jude.
The Sunday school students will assemble the blessing bags throughout Great and Holy Lent, and also personalize the St. Jude icon cards. The Blessing bags will be available after the Divine Liturgy each Sunday of Great and Holy Lent. During the week, as parishioners move about Miami, the Blessing bags are given to the less fortunate. Extra Blessing bags will be taken to the Missionaries of Charity.
Here’s a list of the things that might go into a Blessing bag:
- Bottled water (no larger than 16.9 oz.)
- Toiletries (travel size): deodorant, shampoo, feminine hygiene products, biodegradable toilet paper, “baby” wipes.
- Personal items: sunscreen, lip balm, comb/brush, toothpaste/toothbrush.
- Non-perishable foods (no cooking required and easily chewable), such as granola/energy bars, snack packs (fruit, tuna, crackers, with a plastic spoon), raisins, peanuts, and trail mix.
- Clothing items, such as socks and underwear, always new (of course).
- Gift cards for food or mobile.
The easiest way to contribute: go to the Amazon.com wishlist where you can place an order and have it delivered directly to the parish! Of course, you are welcome to visit the Church and drop off items as well.
Great and Holy Lent is a call for us to renew our Baptismal vows and to make an extra effort on prayer, fasting, and almsgiving. We respectfully ask that you consider donating to this program to help fulfill this mission!